Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Batting My Eyes

I've never paid too much attention to quilt batting.  After purchasing fabrics to piece my quilt top and estimating the cost of having it quilted, I typically figure I've invested enough and cheap out on batting and backing. 

"Cheap out" means I buy whatever batting is on sale or I can use a coupon to purchase. 

Last year I was hanging out with my son in his dorm room and I noticed his senior quilt.  Granted, it had been living in a dorm room for three years, but it was limp and flatter than a pancake.  Even though I had purchased nice flannel for the back, I could tell the batting hadn't held up well.  And I knew why.

You get what you pay for.

I had made seven senior quilts that year, so I know I put the cheapest batting possible in that quilt.  And I was sorry I had.

Since I began longarm quilting I have had to pay attention to batting; it's right under my nose.  It's been an interesting learning experience; I've realized that battings are not all created equal.  There are huge differences.  The nicer battings really make nicer quilts.

I understand the cost of our hobby...our obsession....I do.  And I'm not saying you should never purchase the less expensive batting again. If that is your only option, by all means, use it!! What I am saying is to consider your project, is it something you want to last a while?  Did you invest a lot of time and /or money on the top of your quilt?   If it doesn't hold up well, can you live with that?

I'm going to be asking myself those questions from now on....without even batting an eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment