Thursday, June 9, 2011

Redemption

I ran across some old pictures the other day and I starting thinking about the quilts I have made for my family.  I decided to do a little inventory:

Brother  - check
Nephew - check
Sister - check, check
Son - check, check, check,
Daughter-in-law - check, check, check
Son-in-law - check
Daughter - check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check.....etc. :)
Mom - check, check, check
Step Dad - ...................................???

No way.  I'd never made a quilt for my mom's husband, my kid's grandpa...my step dad.  It's inexcusable, that's what it is.  The shame, the guilt, the angst...

He has a birthday coming up, so I decided to redeem myself.  A lap size quilt is perfect and I chose a simple pattern, but it seems like it took forever to put the thing together.

I've been a little busy.

I used my masculine batik scraps, then found a nice white (ish) batik for the field.  I like it!



I got it loaded on The Beast (more about that name in a later post) during my lunch hour.

Then I tried to decide on thread color.  I was in a quandary.....


Yikes!


I finally settled on this brownish grey color.  I was thinking it wouldn't be too...hmmm....bold?  Yeah.  Bold.  Subtle seemed like a good idea.

Then I pondered quilting designs.  Tools?  That would be manly and fun.  Bears?  Moose?  Fish?

I dun know.

I went with fly fishing.  He loves to fish...and I thought the swirly-ness of the pattern would look nice on the rectangle-ness of the quilt.





I'm really, really happy with the result.  I can hear Grandpa now, he'll say, "He'ey!  This is the best darn quilt I have ever seen!"  He's a very positive and appreciative fellow.  I really do think he'll love it.

This pattern is from Quilt Sampler Magazine Spring/Summer 2011.  It's called Pave The Way.  I'm going to try it next in cream, green and black.

I'm thinking my sister might need another check after her name...!

1 comment:

  1. This blog made me think about all my quilt lists. The finished few, the ones begun, the ones ready to quilt, the ones with fabric bought and potential designs in my head (the longest list).

    ReplyDelete