Sunday, July 17, 2011

Amazing Batiks

Every quilter has probably dreamed of making a huge quilt out of her (or his) batik scraps.

Wouldn't that be amazing?


Well, hold on to your hats and meet Amazing.

I know, right?









 Let's just stare at it for a minute.  










Lavon is my quilt group partner.  She inspires me in so many ways.







She's not afraid of a difficult pattern.  You should see the pineapple quilt she's working on; I'll have to warn you before I post a picture so you don't swoon.


This pattern isn't difficult, but it looks like it.  It looks cool.

Lavon isn't afraid of building a big quilt.  This is the second king I've quilted for her in the past few months.  I still have one more to finish.

 Soon.




I've been thinking about it, and I've come up with a few reasons why Lavon is so successful making big, beautiful quilts.






1.  She's patient.  She isn't in a big rush, she bides her time.












2.  She's diligent.  She keeps working at it.










3.  Well, let's face it.  The girl is just plain good.












This batik is beautiful on the back.  (I keep a mirror on my quilt machine table so I can see what's going on underneath it all.)








I've learned a little something about batiks in the last few months.  They are so tightly woven; the needle can't glide between the fibers, it actually pokes a little hole in the fabric.  This can be a problem when using batik as a backing, the needle can actually push batting through the little holes and make the back of your quilt kind of fuzzy.  If you prewash your backing with fabric softener, it will loosen the fibers and it won't be a problem.


And your long arm quilter will love you.


Lavon prewashed her backing.  She prewashed everything.


I'm glad I have these pictures.  I'm going to have to give this back to Lavon someday; at least I'll have the pictures to drool over.


 


Do you have a lot of batik scraps??    

Me, too.

Race ya!

- Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment