Sunday, July 31, 2011

Quilt Group

I've referred to my quilt group several times in previous posts, so I thought I'd take a minute and explain what I'm talking about.

It may take more than a minute.

My quilt group was started many years ago by a couple of women who love the Lord and love to quilt.  It was a time to visit, a time to eat and a time to encourage each other in the journey that is quilting.

And the journey that is life.   

Becky was one of the charter members of our group.  She's as welcoming and kind as she looks in this picture.


There are twelve women in our group; we are partnered into six groups of two.  We meet once a month, with the exception of July when it's just too busy to think, let alone quilt.  We don't sew in December...we party instead!  More about that later....

We used to meet in a church, sometimes we still do, but it's gotten more popular to host quilt group in our homes.  It's pretty fun, you just need lots of extension cords. 

As far as I know, we've never tripped a breaker.

We have a rotation going; each group of two is assigned a month.  They plan the evening, including dinner.  They call around and let everybody know where to be and what to bring. They put the dinner together and clean up; while they are doing that, everybody else is working on projects that those two women have brought.

Get it?  It works pretty slick.

Our quilt group is self perpetuating.  If someone leaves, we think of ladies who might like to join us.  We put all the names in a hat, then choose one.

We are a sophisticated and democratic group of women.

Janet put my name in the hat.  We've been friends since...well, since before three of our five collective children were born.

I love her.  And I love her boots.


I put Penny's name in the hat.

Penny is who I call to help me lay out a random quilt. I love random, but I can't seem to do random.  I also call Penny when I'm in a panic over a quilting job and need somebody to be rational.

Random and rational?  It's a great combo, and it's Penny.  I love her, too. 



It's fun to get together each month, but the highlight of the year is definitely our Christmas party.

You see, we pick names earlier in the year.  So at the party, which always includes tons of fun and good food, we each get some type of quilt that was made especially for us.

I don't know what's more fun, opening my gift or watching the person I picked open hers.




I picked Becky's name last year.  She loves red, and these birds picked her.

I had very little say in the matter.






Lavon made me this ultra tote bag.  She said it was more work than a quilt, and I believe it.  It has pockets and zippers...and is big enough for my laptop.  Love it.  Love her.


I've been in my quilt group for eight years....though it may be nine....or it may be seven, not sure.  Lots of women have come and gone during that time and it's been a pleasure to get to know each one of them. Hopefully I'll be able to introduce you to the rest of them when I quilt their quilts. That's assuming they'll let me.

There's a pretty good chance they will.  I gave each of them a coupon for a discount on their first quilt.

If you've ever thought of starting a quilt group, I say go for it.  It's a great way to stay motivated, learn new techniques and make life long friends.

And you know how you make tons of quilts, but never keep any?  This is a sure fire way of knowing you'll get at least one quilt every year.

Made just for you.

-Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment