Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Happy Scraps

I had a couple of goals.  I needed to make a baby blanket, but I wanted it to be fresh and light. 

And inexpensive.

I had lots of bright, fun scraps hanging around, I just needed a plan. 

I found a pattern I liked on a website I frequent. 







All I really had to buy for the top of the quilt is the neutral solids.  It's amazing what you can accomplish when you're , ah....cash challenged.











The solid colored squares made a nice foundation for all the bright prints.

And the ladybugs.  LOVE the lady bugs.

Doesn't it look like I planned for the ladybugs to land smack dab in the center of the square? 

I didn't, they just migrated there on their own.  It happened every other row.

Too fun!






So are some of these fabrics....











They make me feel good.









So....this backing is the reason I'm broke. 

It's called Snuggles, and it's by Moda Fabrics.  It's expensive, but it's a lot less stretchy than your typical minky.  And it's SOOOO soft. 

I've done a couple of quilts with minky, and they turned out fine.  But I wanted this color and the ultra softness of Snuggles this time.  



It's beautiful.  I think it was worth it.
(Click on the pictures for a better view.)


The pattern is called Tiffany by Red Pepper Quilts.  I found it here...pinkchalkfabrics.com
The red Snuggles came from Robin Place Fabrics...robinplacefabrics.com

And the scraps?  Well, they came from my stash, and it came from all over the place!

Happy quilting!

-Kathy

2 comments:

  1. It is GORGEOUS!! Your Ladybug quilting is the cutest design I think I've seen. :) Makes me smile just to look at it...and the backing is beautiful!! I don't know what it cost, but it is perfect. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love scrappy quilts. I have one I call my "free quilt". I had even had the batting on hand for a long time, so I could say I didn't buy any. All I bought was a 5" remnant I thought had to be in it, and unbleached muslin(on sale, of course) for the backing.

    ReplyDelete